Rivendell, WIS

O to grace how great a debtor Daily I'm constrained to be! Let Thy goodness, like a fetter, Bind my wandering heart to Thee.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Burn-out, multitasking, joy in living

I found an old blog post at Tami's Blog about how she avoids burning out as a homeschool mom. I agree, I agree.

Thank you, Henry Cate of Why Homeschool for writing about The Multitasking Generation. This is definitely a topic for thought and discussion in our family.

I've been spending less time online these past few months... and I've enjoyed it. This paragraph says it better than I can, from the Time article Henry quotes:

"The problem," says Hallowell, "is what you are not doing if the electronic moment grows too large"--too large for the teenager and too large for those parents who are equally tethered to their gadgets. In that case, says Hallowell, "you are not having family dinner, you are not having conversations, you are not debating whether to go out with a boy who wants to have sex on the first date, you are not going on a family ski trip or taking time just to veg. It's not so much that the video game is going to rot your brain, it's what you are not doing that's going to rot your life."


I find joy in having time (15 minutes, some days) to read an extra story with my 6 yo dd. I find joy in reading a novel now and then, going for a walk now that the weather is nice, looking forward to cleaning out the flowerbed. I find peace and contentment in spending time planning our school days rather than flying by the seat of my jeans. I find satisfaction in having a little more time to keep the clutter in control... Keeping my computer time manageable gives time for other joyful pursuits.

God is so good to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home