Rivendell, WIS

O to grace how great a debtor Daily I'm constrained to be! Let Thy goodness, like a fetter, Bind my wandering heart to Thee.

Friday, March 17, 2006

St. Patrick's Day

Today, I finally noticed that my tulips have poked their leaves above the surface--the flower bed has been covered in snow lately, so I hadn't been looking for this first sign of spring.

I appreciate St. Patrick the man, who is by profession one of my brothers in Christ Jesus. One children's book we have read about him is by
Tomie DePaola, titled Patrick: Patron Saint of Ireland. My better half and I don't agree with the practice of designating some people "saints," but we do appreciate those whose lives clearly demonstrate biblical truth.

We watched a group of Irish step dancers perform on Wednesday. We knew three of the students from either our church, home school contacts, or a play our children were in. I haven't heard anyone here begging to take step dance lessons... yet.

With a given name like Colleen, how can I resist trying some Irish recipes on St. Patrick's Day? Our menu:

Pearl onions with Irish Butter Sauce (ketchup and butter, believe it or not, but good)
Colcannon (definitely worth making, if you've never tried this cabbage and potato dish)
Irish Stew (with beef for economy's sake)
Irish Soda Bread
Mexican Limeade (because it's green, silly!)

May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
And rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home